Dingley Primary has developed a close relationship with the Alannah and Madeleine Foundation and has worked hard to implement a range of strategies linked to the Better Buddies Program. The aims of the program are to:
- reinforce that violence isn't the solution to disputes.
- listen to and work with children in a positive, supportive environment.
- develop children's feelings of compassion & empathy with others.
- stimulate children's imagination and assist them in expressing their ideas and thoughts.
- assist children in supporting their peers.
- develop children's social skills to enable them to get along with others.
- encourage children to relate to and empathise with characters outside their immediate environment.
- encourage children to be aware of the existence of vulnerable children who have suffered through violent crime and sudden loss of family.
At Dingley Primary School every child has a buddy. Prep children have a Grade 5/6 buddy and Grade 1/2 children have a Grade 3/4 buddy. Students meet every fortnight to complete activities around values and friendship. This promotes a very positive peer support program for all children at our school.